The DVLA says three million drivers have penalty points on their licence and 36,000 are on the verge of a ban, could this be someone in your business?
If you have employees who drive as part of their job, and you don’t check their eligibility to drive, you are committing an offence for which you could be prosecuted, if it’s subsequently found out that they don’t have a valid licence.
Asking to see an employee’s licence is no longer enough because the paper counterpart, the part that shows endorsements, is not a valid document and is no longer issued. The licence could be revoked, or contain a large number of penalty points, how would you know?
Employees can generate a Check Code from the GOV.UK website and hand this to you along with their written consent
Employers can then check their licence via a different portal on the GOV.UK website.
If you need to check large volumes of employee licenses, the most effective way is to use a third-party driving licence checking service provider.
I work with a leading UK based driving licence checking service provider and I can help you set up a simple and cost-effective automated process for checking employees licenses.
This system’s benefits are:
- Minimum internal admin
- It is secure and GDPR compliant
- Automatic reminders and renewals
- Validates that a driver’s home address and address on their licence match
- Penalty points are listed which allows you to support drivers who are climbing up the penalty point ladder
- Vehicle category entitlement can be checked against the vehicle type being used for work